Location: Archaeological Faul Valley - Viterbo, Italy
- 3D Point Cloud in colour
- 2D AUTOCAD drawings, scale 1:50/1:20
A comprehensive laser scanning survey was conducted to document and validate the archaeological excavation in the Archaeological Faul Valley – Viterbo, Italy. This critical survey played a pivotal role in shaping initial considerations about the asset and evolution of the site. The production of detailed 2D drawings and sections enabled the documentation of existing conditions, allowing for the analysis of the excavation and archaeological remains. This, in turn, facilitated the definition of the original plan and use of the site.
3D Laser Scanning Surveying for Archaeology:
Archaeological sites demand precise surveying and documentation for the interpretation of ancient buildings, ruins, and excavations. The coloured point cloud generated through laser scanning is an indispensable tool for defining the morphology of the site. It allows for the interpretation of architectural and structural elements, even in a degraded state, supporting archaeological investigations. Laser scanning, being non-intrusive, is particularly suitable for archaeological excavations where access may be limited.
Survey Methodology to Match the Scope:
Our specialised Heritage Department team has extensive experience in dealing with heritage and archaeological sites.
The site requirements were the following:
- Conduct a digital survey of the archaeological excavation, documenting historical remains like portions of walls and foundations, to define stability, design, and the structure of the original urban asset in Faul Valley.
- Monitor excavation activity to delineate evolutionary phases of urban stratification over the centuries.
Our Survey Service:
- Production of an accurate 3D coloured point cloud through laser scanning.
- Photo documentation.
- Detailed 2D drawings documenting the site plan and vertical sections/elevations at scales 1:50/1:20.
- Orthophoto of elevations displaying the typology of stones and wall texture.
Red Laser Scanning works to instil complete confidence when undertaking heritage and archaeological projects, as exemplified by our successful cases.
WHO WE WORK WITH
ARCHITECTS & DESIGNERS
Point clouds/ DWG / Revit
Pre-construction / as-built surveys and Virtual Design and Construction
Quality control during construction